Parenting Songs

Songs About Parenting


Yeah Well

This is a song about talking to my 13-year old -- things I have said or thought about saying.

Yeah Well Audio

C    Yeah well good luck
G    I tried and I failed
Am And I’ll get up tomorrow
Em And try again
Dm Knowing I can’t fix it
Dm7 And I haven’t changed
F But maybe tomorrow
G We can do it all again


C Yeah well I know
G There’s no way you can understand
Am Because you’re still young
Em And you’re not yet a man
Dm But maybe tomorrow
Dm7 I’ll try again
F To explain what I can
G Of this crazy game


C Yeah well that’s one
G Coping mechanism
Am No worse than most, in fact
Em Right now I can’t think of a better one
Dm So laugh it off
Dm7 And maybe tomorrow
F I will learn to
G Laugh it off with you


C Yeah well life sucks
G And then you die
Am Least that’s what I say
Em When I’m tired of trying
Dm I know you’re not like me
Dm7 But I’d rather you lie
F Go down with a smile
G And tomorrow we’ll try again


C Yeah well if I fall asleep right here
G Don’t wake me up
Am I don’t want to think about how
Em I haven’t changed in all these years as your mom
Dm Though I’ve tried and failed
Dm7 And tomorrow I’ll try again
F I wish you the best of luck or if not / better luck than I had and
G The will to try again

I Tried 

This is a song about my 5-year-old having a meltdown on the sidewalk in front of the Deli. He had trouble choosing an ice cream flavor and I thought I got him what he wanted but it turned out not to be what he wanted. I thought I could save the outing and bring him back but it didn't go well and I yelled a lot in the car ride home. I regret being so mean about it. When we got home, I went straight to the piano and vented. I wish I could sing this song the venty way I feel about it, but the notes are too high for me to do that.

  Audio

I tried to fix it, I swear that I tried
I tried to take you back again inside
I know that you are saying that you’re shy
You don’t have to tell anyone but me,
don’t have to tell anyone but me, just me, just me


Chorus:
I really love you
You know it’s the truth
I do it all for you
But I’m through the roof
You’re messing with my love
These scars are the proof
But, I’ll do it again, and again, and again


I tried to pick you up from that sidewalk
You cried so hard you couldn’t even talk
I tried to give you space to feel your feelings
I could have laid there with you and cried,
could have laid there with you and cried and cried and cried


Chorus


I love you so my heart’s tangled in you
I want to give you everything you want
I don’t know if that would be good for you
I hate to hurt you, hate to make you cry,
hate to hurt you, hate to make you cry and cry and cry


I vented my whole bad day on you
I blamed you for everything I don’t have
I don’t have any good left inside
But I’ll try and try and try and try and try, etc.

Chrous

Brothers

This is the first song I wrote in January 2018. I was just playing around with the kids and did not think this was the start of anything.

I have 3 boys and it's definitely about them. There was a time I knew which verse was about which one, but it has gotten a little fuzzy. My 6-year-old recently asked me who was the one who died, I said I don't know, it's just a made-up story.

They say he ruins all their fun but please don’t make me laugh

Of all the fun you ever had, he more’n accounts for half

 

Brothers, brothers, there’s no easy way to say

You’re brothers, and brothers, that won’t just go away.

 

They say he had no self-control but I know that ain’t true

He held his tongue and shut his mouth although he’s turning blue

 

Brothers, brothers, the pain that they cause

Brothers, brothers, it really gives you pause

 

They say he’s mean as a snake but I know that’s a lie

He never said he hated them, he just wished they would die.

 

Brothers, brothers, they’ll tear themselves apart

Brothers, brothers, you’ll break your mother’s heart

 

Where there were three, now there are two cuz one has gone away

He left his brawling, spiteful home, he said he could not stay

 

Because brothers, brothers, say there ain’t enough for all.

Oh brothers, brothers, you used to have it all.

 

Where there were two, now there is one cuz one’s cruel wish came true

He wished his brother’d up and die, oh what’s a ma to do?

 

Brothers, brothers, I know that you must fight

But brothers, my boys, please don’t give in to spite.

 

Where there was one, now there are none cuz brothers, it takes two

An only child can’t be a brother, no matter what he may do.