Dark Thing

Dark Thing

I wrote this as a poem first and then a year or more later put it to music. I originally envisioned this as a poem for kids where they could explore something dark and scary in simple, rhyming language. But perhaps it got a little too dark for kids. Sorry kids, but "gin" was just too easy to rhyme! I still envision this as a children's picture book.

When I was looking for a chord progression, I was looking for something that sounded dark and yet magical. Fans of T-Pain may recognize these chords as 5 O'Clock in the Morning.
😂

Dark Thing Audio


There’s a thing that is dark in the ocean
Though I have been wanting to snore
The thing in the dark of the ocean
Gives an under-wild seawater roar
I am wanting to sleep by the ocean
Listen to drownings in gin
I am looking for peace by the ocean
And wanting to wade deep on in
It is dark and I’m starting to question
My thoughts and my fears, and I grin
When the dark thing rises out of the ocean
With fangs and wet scales made of tin
I quake wet with sand and stiff wind
It is tall as the wave of God’s hand
The waves suck the bottoms from under my feet
Drawing out to the sea where I stand
There’s the thing in the sea that is dark
Here is me losing ground as I stand
The wind and the waves and the thing much more brave
Pouring off oceans and sand
A step to the sea would be madness
I can’t stay and can’t go on in
I am needing to sleep by the ocean
Near its waves and my bottle of gin
I think safe behind of my loved ones
They call me soundlessly home
I need to sleep by the ocean
Dark thing or no I postpone.
Dark is the sky, dark the waves,
And darker still the sand
But the thing rising out of the ocean
Is the darkness of death, understand?
I go to my home, rush inside
Deplore the stale settled air
The sea calls to me, the dark thing I fear
Is my friend though it kills those who dare
Nowhere is home to the sealost
Though there is home for the brave
Nowhere is home when dark seawater laps

At your toes while you stand, staring, stay...