Borrowed Without Permission

Borrowed Without Permission

I'm taking creative license to put these beautiful words to music.

The Tide Rises, the Tide Falls

This is a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. I found an old printout in my papers from high school. I put it to music.

The Tide Rises, the Tide Falls Audio

The tide rises, the tide falls,
The twilight darkens, the curlew calls;
Along the sea-sands damp and brown
The traveller hastens toward the town,
      And the tide rises, the tide falls.

Darkness settles on roofs and walls,
But the sea, the sea in the darkness calls;
The little waves, with their soft, white hands,
Efface the footprints in the sands,
      And the tide rises, the tide falls.

The morning breaks; the steeds in their stalls
Stamp and neigh, as the hostler calls;
The day returns, but nevermore
Returns the traveller to the shore,
      And the tide rises, the tide falls.

Nos Iremos

A couple years ago I memorized poems as a way to practice Spanish. This is one of those poems. My translation notes are here: https://myparticularity.blogspot.com/2019/06/11-translating-nos-iremos.html

Here is the poem turned into a song:

Nos Iremos Audio

Lyrics from Silvina Ocampo : 

Am     Nos iremos, me iré con los que aman,

Em    dejaré mis jardines y mi perro

F    aunque parezca dura como el hierro

G     cuando los vientos vagabundos braman.   Am


Am  Em   F   G  Am  D7sus


Am    Nos iremos, tu voz, tu amor me llaman:

Em    dejaré el son plateado del cencerro

F    aunque llegue a las luces del desierto

G    por ti, porque tus frases me reclaman.    Am


Am  Em   F   G  Am  D7sus


Am    Buscaré el mar por ti, por tus hechizos,

Em    me echaré bajo el ala de la vela,

F    después que el barro zarpe cuando vuela

G    la sombra del adiós.    Am


Am  Em   F   G  Am  D7sus


Am     Como en los fríos lloraré la cabeza entre tu mano

Em    lo que me diste y me negaste en vano. 

F     Como en los fríos lloraré la cabeza entre tu mano

G    lo que me diste y me negaste en vano.    Am


Am  Em   F   G  Am  D7sus

A Place

I have a quote book that I've been adding to since I was a teenager. These lyrics are a combination of poems and quotes from there. All they have in common is the idea of some place, concrete or abstract or both.


Ian William Douglas' poem comes first, and is almost verbatim. I found it in the New Yorker magazine, cut it out and pasted it into my quote book many years ago. I did the same with the Mary Oliver poem, but I shortened Mary Oliver's poem and cut out about half of the words.According to a quick internet search, this poem appears to be popular, so apologies to her fans. The other three quotes are just a few lines or less from each.

lyrics from Ian William Douglas, Mary Oliver, Rumi, Walt Whitman, Dylan Thomas


And the nights were long, weren’t they?
Cavernous things, they drew you to them,
outward and away - To the hungering fields
wracked with winter.

The nights were fathomless; the wind,
the low hills Dwindling.
The unforgiving light was your own.

You fell to your knees, didn’t you.
Lost yourself to the frostbitten ground.
Tore at the gracelessness Inside of you,
while helplessly calling a name.

Until, as from nothing, nothing would open.
Til nothing from nothing would open and nothing remains.

You want to cry aloud for your mistakes.
But the world doesn’t need any more of that sound.
So go across the forty fields and forty dark inclines

Of rocks and water to the place where
The falls are flinging out their white sheets
You can roar and drip all you want there
And still the bird will sing.

Of the perfect stone-hard beauty of everything
The perfect beauty of everything

Keep walking through there’s no place to get to.
Don’t try to see through the distances.
That’s not for human beings.

Move within but don't move the way fear makes you move.
Look for me under your boot-soles.
I stop somewhere waiting for you

Beyond right and wrong is a field x3
I’ll meet you there

Death has no dominion here. x3

I’ll meet you here