Leaving Boston

Audio

 

I was living in a big drafty house

One room on the second floor

The rest of the rooms let by queer folk

One or two behind every door


It was cold that winter, bitterly

Froze the noses off the faces

Of waiters and waitresses

Walking to the T, rushing to catch the T


Started to know this city’s not for me 

When even the waitresses were PhDs

I don’t want to compete. I just want to leave

I just want to leave


Between the creeping cold and the drudgery,

The lonely jobs that didn’t fit me

I was looking to leave. I was looking to leave

The misfit jobs that didn’t fit me


Leaving Boston

The sweet South calling me

Just needed someone to follow

Needed someone to lead

Someone with a fire in their belly

Someone to follow

Someone to lead


I was walking out into the street

The middle of Mass Ave in the middle of the week

One stop from Harvard Square

I was ready to go anywhere


In this city of geniuses

Even the waitresses

Are PhDs, I don’t want to compete

I just want to leave


I’m looking for less concrete

I am looking for trees

Too many people if you need the T

I’m looking for space where I can breathe